The Thermaikos Municipality stretches over 50 km of coastline to the east of the city of Thessaloniki. It has over 10 regulated crystal clear beaches, 2 Natura regions (Epanomi and Angelochori lagoons) with 178 rare and protected bird species and in excess of 2500 plant species, archaeological discoveries, which date to the 4 – 5 centuries BC and churches dating from 1110-1865 AD. It is a stone’s throw from the “MAKEDONIA” airport (just 15 km) and is an ideal tourist destination for visitors all year round.
At the dozens of small taverns that are literally strewn along the beach, one can enjoy fresh seafood and traditional appetizers accompanied by excellent local wine and the well known “tsipouro”. It is made by local producers in the traditional manner and its recipe has been created and handed down from generation to generation.
The best known beaches are “Potamos”, “Fanari”, “Ageladariko”, “Angelochori Beach”, “Agia Triada Beach”, “Baxe Beach”, “Perea Beach”, which are bustling with beachgoers in the summer months enjoying a swim with a view of Mt Olympos and the Thermaikos Maiden ……..
A brief history…..
The region has been inhabited from the Early Iron Age down to the Hellenistic Period. The bulk of the population subsequently moved
to the newly constructed city of Thessaloniki without however abandoning the region. The oldest discoveries in the region are the
Ancient Aenea tomb mounds, a city that is mentioned by Strabo and which is currently identified in the Ν. Michaniona geographical area to the northwest of “toumba – tambia” Beach.Aenea was probably a Corinthian colony that was founded in the late 8 century BC and was minting its own coins with the head of Aeneas as the symbol by the late 6 century BC. It was allied with the Athenians in the Delian League in the 5 century. In the 4 century BC it escaped from the Athenian sphere of influence and joined the Chalkidean Commune until 348 BC when it was occupied by Phillip II, the king of Macedonia. The sources mention Aenea as one of the settlements that merged in 315 BC to form Thessaloniki, but it was not completely abandoned, since
rd nd activities are apparent even in the 3 and 2 centuries BC. During the Byzantine period the region belonged to the Kalamaria
“Kapetanikon” (fiefdom) and during the Ottoman period of occupation it succeeded in acquiring privileges that ensured the
integrity of the settlements. The region’s fortification began to
the develop in the 19 century since it was of strategic importance to the defence of Thessaloniki. The Angelochori Lighthouse is one of the fortifications in the region that has survived. It is located on the edge of Cape Megalo Emvolo and has been classified as a Protected Recent Monument of Industrial Heritage and is included amongst the 25 heritage lighthouses of Greece. The Naval
Fortifications have also survived. They are situated along the northern edge of the Megalo Emvolo rocky coast (kara-bournou) at
a position of strategic significance since ancient times. These fortifications were constructed by German engineers in the late 19
century.The exchange of populations after the Asia Minor catastrophe resulted in the establishment of settlements by refugees from Asia Minor. These settlements were established along the eastern coast in the wider Municipality region at Perea, N. Epivates (formerly Baxe), Agia Triada in the former Thermaikon Municipality,Angelochori, N. Kerasia in the former Michaniona Municipality and
Mesimeri in the Epanomi Municipality, which now constitute the new Thermaikon Municipality under the Kallikratis Law.
There was intense residential development in the region due to population re-settlement in the 1990s by predominantly young
families who settled permanently in the region in search of a better quality of life near the sea and nature.