The fortification of the region commenced in the 19 century, since it was of strategic significance to the defence of Thessaloniki (entry point to the Bay). Amongst the surviving fortifications in the region is the Angelochori Lighthouse, which is situated at the edge of
Megalo Emvolo (kara-bournou) and has been classified as a Protected Recent Monument of Industrial Heritage and is included amongst the 25 heritage lighthouses of Greece. It was constructed by German engineers in 1864 from solid mud bricks pursuant to an order by the Ottomans, like the smoke stacks in the early industrial buildings of Thessaloniki. In front of it, at the edge of the north rocky edge of the Megalo Emvolo, they constructed the Fortifications in 1883 – 1885 (Naval Fortifications).
During the German occupation, the Germans converted the fortifications into a pillbox because of its strategic position on the hill at the entrance to the Bay, which caused damages that were restored after the war.
The view from the Megalo Emvolo is impressive, since one can see the entire Thermaikos Gulf, Mt Olympos and the Aegean Sea.
- AddressThermaikos Municipality
- By visit thermaikos
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org